Sunday, November 13, 2011

Day 6 - Para los fans no es falsa

Racing to the Ambassador theatre to present SLACKER 2011 at noon. This is the additional screening set up to coincide with our front page story in the festival daily. The huge theatre had the best projection that I've seen at the festival - I see it's a 2K projector, and the HDCam we have for our screenings is finally looking as it should. Unfortunately, because the screening wasn't in the program, or on any schedule, it was understandably under-attended. Under-attended to the point of me not doing an introduction or q&a...

I grabbed a copy of the paper and, indeed, we made the cover. You can see the cover here:


Inside the issue is an interview with me. I didn't say anything worth repeating, I think. Plus it's in Spanish and I can't really translate. The one thing of note here is that they put my name as "David C. Metz." So at least there's that. Scott Moyers finally has a partner in mis-naming.

I had to do my last interview, with the reporter from the festival website. It should be online soon. I was, I recall, beginning to get a little tired of answering the same questions over and over. Is this how actual filmmakers feel?

This was also the day of our big story in Tiempo Argentino. We did make the print edition, and it has a funny picture of me in it. The story is reproduced online here: http://tiempo.elargentino.com/notas/para-los-fans-no-es-falsa


The headline, which I used as the title of this entry, reads to me as very strange. Correct me if I'm wrong, but should it not be translated as: "For the fans, it is not false"? That sounds very defensive. Angel Lola translated this story for me, and the translation of my interview seems accurate…

With nothing to do for the afternoon, I went to see another Berlanga film, GRANDEUR NATURE. The film is about a dentist who falls in love with a sex doll, leaving his wife and moving to Paris where he tries to set up a home for the doll, only to become furious when he finds out the maintenance man is sleeping with her too. She is a-doll-terous (sorry, I had to). This film was funny and sexually quite strange. A departure from MISTER MARSHALL for sure, but still done with grace and a fantastic sense of humor.

I also walked by this nice flower stand, and I saw a few boys carrying loads of flowers to it. How sweet.


Then to my last obligation for the festival, introducing SLACKER for a second time. This time, rather than talking about the history of independent cinema in America, I decided to focus on its place in it. I told the audience, "When you watch the film, you need to ask yourself: Why are we looking at this film 20 years later? Why is it still relevant?" I also played with the translator (I couldn't help myself), having her talk about herself a lot. So I guess I can check that off my bucket list.

Pablo and I had a quick dinner (milanesa, a corn-meal breaded pounded veal steak) and watched Joe Dante introduce his 3D film THE HOLE. We shared a cab back to the hotel with Joe and his incredibly charming wife. Dante asked me, "So, how'd you get into producing, seeing as you're like twelve years-old." Good point, Dante.

With nothing left to do at the festival, I went to sleep while watching American television with Spanish subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment